18 AMAZING blogging tips for beginners, from 6 blogging experts!
I am super, super-excited to present to you this blog post. So, about 2 months ago, I came up with an idea to create a blog post, that would provide great tips to other beginner bloggers, that are looking for some guidance at the beginning of their blogging journey – just like I was at that time (well, I still am). And I started this blog with that purpose – to help other bloggers and digital marketers.
I figured I could make a list of my best tips for bloggers myself since I do have experience working in a marketing agency, but that would just be another “my best blogging tips for beginners” blog post. I wanted to do something more, something, that would provide the readers with more value.
So I came up with an idea – what if I would reach out to other already known and successful bloggers, who obviously know what it takes to succeed in the blogging field, and ask them, to give their own best tips for beginner bloggers, put those tips together and created a much more awesome and much more comprehensive list of the best tips for beginner bloggers. I thought that this would be super-helpful for the bloggers in the beginning of their journey, that are wondering what they should focus on, what do they need to do to succeed, etc.
So, not expecting too much, I went and put together a list of successful bloggers and blogging experts and contacted a lot of them – mostly through email. And before I contacted I actually researched them, went through their content, social media, etc. to make sure that I knew who I’m talking with and what they are about – it just seemed like a more fair and honest approach.
As a new blogger, I didn’t expect too much of a response, but thought that it was worth giving a shot.
Some of them didn’t respond, some of them said no, but 5 amazing people and bloggers said YES! I was so happy for each and every one of them and positively surprised that some of them were immediately totally for it. Not only are they phenomenal, successful bloggers and have a great amount of knowledge about the topic of blogging and digital marketing, but all of them are also extremely kind and friendly. It is an absolute pleasure to work with each and every one of them. Just wanted to put that out there – besides being experts, they are all really positive people so it might be a good idea for you to follow them.
To each and every one of you awesome people that contributed and invested your time to help other bloggers – thank you, it has truly been so nice to work with all of you and I hope this won’t be the last time we work together!:)
Here it is! 18 BLOGGING TIPS FOR BEGINNERS from BLOGGING EXPERTS.
I am 100 % that every blogger can get some value out of that and that these tips can greatly improve their online success. I think it’s a great mixture between general, mindset-oriented and 100 % practical and applicable tips. Let’s gooo!
Here is the list of all the AMAZING bloggers, that contributed to this post.
All of them are already very SUCCESSFUL BLOGGERS and absolute experts in their fields.
Click on their name to go directly to their best tips, or just scroll down to read all of them – I recommend you to go through all the tips because all of them provided great value for every beginning blogger!
1. Anna Bennett from WhiteGloveSocialMedia.com
As a Pinterest expert my blogs are designed to help bloggers and businesses get more traffic and sales using Pinterest. And Pinterest marketing really does work. Would you be amazed to know that Pinterest has helped me rank # 1 on Google in organic search under my preferred keywords?
But here’s the thing, I was a somewhat clueless blogger in the beginning. I didn’t even know where to look for help – I kid you not. So I figured it out on my own through self-study. Knowing what I know now I wish I would have taken a course from an expert which would have saved me countless hours of frustration. Time is money.
1. Therefore the first tip I’ll pass it is to take a course on how to blog versus reading every blog out there. Invest in yourself. I’m glad you’re reading this blog post and getting inside tips from influential bloggers. However, at some point you need to sit down to create a strategy and map out your tactics on how to get more people reading your blog. You do that by taking a course from someone who has already made all the mistakes, has done all the thinking & research for you. It will save you a ton of headache, time and money.
2. My second tip is to make sure you share your blogs on Pinterest. So many businesses, bloggers, and publishers still don’t realize the power of Pinterest. Investing in Pinterest pays off long-term because pins last forever, meaning that your content has a longer shelf life versus any other social media network. A tweet lasts mere seconds, a Facebook post a few hours if you’re lucky, while on Pinterest it’s several years. As a matter of fact I have content that is five years old still being shared by Pinterest users. What this means to your business is MORE visibility over time. Isn’t that what you want . . . to get more ROI with less effort?
3. My third tip for bloggers is to avoid limiting yourself to blogs that only focus on your products and services. Instead also use the indirect approach of helping vs. the direct approach of selling or promoting because no one wants to be sold to. People can tell if all you want to do is sell your stuff. Think helpfulness. Offer tips, how to’s, checklists. Solve some problems and be helpful.
If you are not sure what topics to blog about check out what your competition is writing about. I’m not suggesting you copy them but observe what people are saving. To find that out use this URL www.pinterest.com/source/yourcompetitionURL.com – you can easily find out what your target audience likes and loves. Once you’ve identified a topic to talk about make it your own by adding your own style and personality into it. Just be yourself, be authentic, add a pinch of humble pie too if you want to connect with your audience in an emotional level.
Blogging requires strategy, time, consistency, dedication, education, and more. Don’t be scared if you think you might get it wrong. I’ve always felt strongly about helping people and if you start with the mindset of helpfulness your creative juices will flow and you’ll develop great ideas on how to accomplish that. Blogging is about helping your readers first, so self-promotion should always be secondary.
I wish you boatloads of new traffic.
Anna was so amazing, that she sent me even more great tips, so I decided to write a separate blog post about Pinterest marketing, where I will use her expert tips to try and explain Pinterest marketing in great details – make sure to sign-up for the newsletter, to be notified about that!
2. Cath from TheContentBug.com
Cath from TheContentBug
Content Marketing Expert / Blogging and Digital marketing Expert
(Marketing expert and awesome to follow on Instagram for constant motivation and entertainment)
I could give so many tips to all the beginner bloggers out there. But Damjan limited it down to 3 so I’ll try to stay within the lines.
1. But for those of you who haven’t started a blog yet, just do it. There will be no perfect moment. There will be no set sign. You just have to dive all in and do it, and once you do, then my first tip would be to take the time to set your vision. I created my website 5 months before I decided to establish my set vision for my business. And that’s not typical! So I highly recommend that you do it early so you don’t backtrack later on. And while you’re doing this, you won’t have all the answers, but as long as you have a dream, you’re well on your way.
2. My second tip would be to put yourself out there in any way that you can!
It took a lot for me to finally get over what other people might think of me if I talked to my audience on Instagram stories. But you know what… once I did it, my engagement spiked and my followers became more engaged.
So step out on the edge and do something that makes your uncomfortable each week. That’s the only way you will learn and grow.
3. My last tip would be to build a community. You are only as strong as those around you. And when you have amazing people lifting you up, you can really conquer anything. So join or create a mastermind group, have virtual coffee dates, and chat with people!
And before I let you go, it’s important to know that you’re not in it alone! All of us have been there at one point and I know the feeling of being overwhelmed and diving into the unknown. But trust me, if you stick with it, you’ll make it out to the other side just fine! So go and chase your dreams. They’re worth it.
3. Danielle Zeigler from DanielleZeigler.com
Once you’ve got (at least) a handful of value-packed posts, driving traffic to a new blog you can start building a community of like-minded readers. Below are three of my top tips for new bloggers:
1. Work on building community. Leave genuine comments on other blogs and similar social media channels.
2. Start a newsletter as soon as you can. It’s an important way for you to connect with your audience (no matter how small)! Give readers a reason to sign up like a short PDF download or exclusive access to deals.
3. Look for opportunities to guest post on other complementary blogs. This was a huge help in building my audience in the beginning. It will also help your SEO by having your site linked to within the post.
4. Francisco Anes from PassiveIncomeWise.com
Hello! My name is Francisco and I run a personal finance blog Passive Income Wise. I am an integrity engineer during the day and a blogger during the night.
In 2015, I started my blog with the aim of teaching people how to build passive income streams as well as documenting my blogging journey. My blog is a place for readers who want to get inspired and motivated to live a balanced lifestyle, take control over their finances for good, and make extra money as a side hustle.
If you are a brand new blogger and are looking for some advice, these are my top 3 tips.
1. Help your readers, don’t think of them like money
It’s understandable that you want to make money from your blog. In fact, that was one of my motivations to start my blog, to make some extra money for my family.
However, I’ve seen many bloggers who are so desperate to make sales and their blogs are spammed with ads and affiliate links. In my opinion, this is a big mistake.
Instead, I recommend writing posts that provide value. Every post in your blog should have a purpose and if you focus on solving a problem, you will be helping your readers.
Your readers will thank you, sometimes with a comment, other times with an affiliate sale. Don’t worry about sales, they will come eventually.
2. People love free stuff, create freebies for your audience
This is something I’ve learned over the last year blogging. People love free stuff! Who doesn’t?
I found out that creating freebies for my audience, increases the engagement and I get a lot of new email subscriptions every day. Plus, if you promote a product or even your own course, your readers are already used to your kind of material and they will be more likely to make a purchase.
Some good ideas as freebies are printables, small guides/tutorials, how to articles or Top 10 type of ebooks. To deliver your freebie you need an email list, which brings me to the last tip…
3. Start Your Email List as soon as possible
If there is something I regret since I started my blog, is that I didn’t start my email list sooner. No matter if you have been blogging for a year or for a few weeks, you should start your email list ASAP.
Your email list is your direct way of connecting with your readers. People who sign up for your blog are ready to listen what you have to say.
You will be able to send emails to your readers every time you have new posts, new courses or just to leave a quick side note.
5. Ana from TheSheApproach.com
Blogging Growth Strategist, Social media Geek, Empowering women to conquer the online world
A must-follow for awesome blogging and digital marketing tips + a healthy dose of her adorable dog!
1. First and foremost and I think it’s important to know your “why”. Why do you want to start a blog? Who do you want to reach with it?How passionate are you about the subject you choose? Take the answers to these questions and use them to fuel your drive!
2. The second thing I think all new bloggers should hear is to focus on the 3 Ps of blog growth: patience (some things take time so don’t try to rush it), perseverance (you will have to keep showing up and do the work) and Pinterest (why aren’t you using Pinterest yet?)!
3. My last advice for those of you who are very early in your blogging journey is to investing in learning resources (ebooks, ecourses, 1-to-1 coaching and anything else in between). The free content out there can be great, but it’s so unorganized that you never know how many steps you’re skipping or what parts of it you’re completely ignoring. For quite a low price you can learn from those who have been where you are, take a shortcut to success and save yourself a lot of time and trouble.
6. Damjan Markovič from TryToBlog.com
I’m not that far away from beginning my blogging journey, but coming from a digital agency, where I worked on a lot of various projects + blogging in the last two months, I have learned a thing or two that I would love to share.
1. First, and the most important thing is – TRY as many different things as possible. Let me explain.
You will come across a million of different tips on what platforms to use, which social media to use, best channels to get traffic from, best tools to use, etc. And all of those CAN work, but maybe they will work for you, and maybe they won’t. The only thing you can do to find out if it will work for you, is to go ahead and try it. Try different social media platforms, try writing on medium.com, try using StumbleUpon, try Facebook ads, try using popups on your site, try . . . you get my point, right? There will be things that work for some other bloggers, that won’t work for you. And there will be things that don’t work for other bloggers, but might become the most successful thing for you. What’s important, is to not blindly follow what other say, but try those things for themselves.
2. My second tip is – BE PATIENT. It depends on the specifics of your blog, but you will probably have to put in quite a lot of work in, before you start getting MASSIVE traffic and start earning money. And it’s so easy to get discouraged when you put in hours of hours of work into a single post, and it gets 11 visitors the next day. But you know what, that’s normal, we’ve literally all been there. And it doesn’t mean that you are doing anything wrong, it just takes time to get a lot of people to notice you, to get your name out there. But if you’ll stay consistent, you will be amazed how many followers will you end up with in a couple of months, how many quality posts will be on your blog, etc. If you stay consistent, these things add up veeery quickly!
3. Hm, I promised myself to give you all a specific, applicable tip, so my last tip is – spend more time on social media talking and engaging with the community, than just posting your own status updates. This is by far the best way to build relationships with other people in your industry AND with your followers. This will be the difference between you having just another website on the internet, and you being someone that people think of, when people think about the niche that you are in. If you interact with other people on your social media profiles, they will get to know you better, they will share your content with their friends, you will get ideas on what to write about in order to solve their problems, etc. It truly is a win:win situation, trust me on this one!
Here it is, guys – 18 tried-and-tested tips from bloggers, that have used these exact tips to make it in the blogging world!
I’m sure that you were able to get a lot of value out of these tips and if you have any questions, feel free to comment below, or contact any of us – knowing these amazing bloggers, I know, that every one of them will do their best to help you guys out!:)
AND, AGAIN, DON’T FORGET TO FOLLOW THESE AMAZING BLOGGERS, SERIOUSLY, YOU WON’T WANT TO MISS OUT ON THEIR GREAT CONTENT!
Are you looking for a simple way to create your own blog? I wrote about it